Tag Archive: yaourt


Yaourt is a wrapper for the pacman package manager, which allows installing from the Arch User Repository, AUR. It also supports installing from a normal user, and then prompts for a password to install through su or sudo. Yaourt is not available in the standard repositories. However, it’s available in the ArchLinux France repository:
Adding the archlinuxfr repository and install yaourt.


In order to have a dynamic network configuration, for example, to easily connect to a WiFi, NetworkManager is a convenient tool.

[andre@8570w ~]$ yaourt -S openntpd networkmanager dnsmasq bluez network-manager-applet gnome-keyring
[root@8570w andre]# systemctl enable NetworkManager 
[root@8570w andre]# systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online

Network was previously configures to use DHCP on the ethernet connection, disable this to prevent conflicts:

[root@8570w andre]# systemctl disable dhcpcd@enp0s25

In order to start openntpd once the connection has been established, look here.


Installing NFS support and enabling the daemons:

[andre@8570w ~]$ yaourt -S nfs-utils
[root@8570w andre]# systemctl enable rpc-statd
[root@8570w andre]# systemctl enable rpc-gssd

NFS3 vs NFS4

On the old laptop, I was running NFS3 as NFS4 gave me some problems. There was a detail I’ve overlooked. Back then, I was like, I’ll come back to this issue later, and never looked into it again. The difference between mounting NFS3 and NFS4 is the fact NFS3 required the full path on the server, while NFS4 requires a relative path to the NFS root. Therefore the corresponding lines in the fstab are

NFS3:   /mnt/1000   nfs defaults,user,noauto 0 0

NFS4:   /mnt/1000   nfs4 defaults,user,noauto 0 0

Mounting from thunar

In order to mount removable media, for example, an SD card, “USB stick” or external hard disk through Thunar, we need the gvfs

[andre@8570w ~]$ yaourt -S gvfs

Before I installed gvfs, I had my user mountable NFS mounts from my fstab listed in Thunar, after installing they were gone. To get them back, add x-gvfs-show to the mount options in fstab   /mnt/1000   nfs4 defaults,user,noauto,x-gvfs-show 0 0


This laptop has a huge touchpad. By default it was set to “two finger scrolling”. Really annoying. This is not a Mac for God’s sake! After a day, I’m getting RSI pains. No good… but fortunately, this is just a configuration option, and can be set to normal edge scrolling.

woohoo --- i can use edge scrolling


At first, I didn’t configure a language. Just running in English was fine, but what I didn’t realise is that this meant I was running in “C”, meaning it wasn’t using UTF-8 encoding, which prevented me from listening to Russian music, as their file names contain non-ASCII characters.

[andre@8570w ~]$ echo $LANG

Before setting any locale, it has to be generated. Uncomment the desired locales in /etc/locale-gen and run locale-gen

[root@8570w andre]# locale-gen

So, I am going to configure a global setting of UK English with UTF-8,

[root@8570w andre]#  localectl set-locale LANG=en_GB.UTF-8

and set my own profile to Dutch by adding the following to ~/.bashrc

export LANG=nl_NL.UTF-8

As I also have to upgrade the packages on my server, and the /lib exist problem, when forcing installation, caused some mess on my desktop machine, I really have to do something different on my server when upgrading the packages there.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/arch-pacman-su-error-glibc-lib-exists-in-filesystem-4175418135/ gave me some solution:

$ grep '^lib/' /var/lib/pacman/local/*/files

To remove all packages except glibc which install in /lib. In the case of the server, these were gcc-multilib libtool-multilib and lib32-glibc. In other words, the 32 bit support parts.

So, in order to revert the system to 64 bit, we use:

# pacman -S -d gcc-libs

To use only the 64 bit versions of the gcc-libs. The option -d is added to not check for dependencies. Please note I have switched to using pacman directly in stead of using yaourt. This feels a little safer when doing operations that could destroy the system.

# pacman -R lib32-gcc-libs lib32-libltdl lib32-glibc

However upgrading the system still fails due the existance of /lib. I have removed all packages that exist in /lib, thus this was not the problem. It seems, the problem was the existance of the directory /lib/yaourt. Moving this directory temporary outside /lib makes the upgrade work. So, when it’s finished, the services that are affected are restarted, the removed packages have been restored, I can move the yaourt directory back where it belongs.

So, now, we know the solution for the /lib exists problem which has been appearing on the internet on many places, just move the yaourt directory (temporary) elsewhere and perform the upgrade through pacman directly.

After the upgrade, it seems the /lib/yaourt directory has been recreated.